Martha's Table tackles DC-area poverty through short and long term solutions. Martha's Table's mission is to help at-risk children, youth, families and individuals in the community improve their lives by providing educational programs, food, clothing and enrichment opportunities.
They do this by providing tutoring and extracurricular programs for students and youth; preparing and serving meals to the homeless at various places around DC; and running a thrift store from clothing donations from the community.
Volunteers are usually able to assist in the following areas:
- Preparing Food - 7 days a week from 10 to 1 pm. Must be 9 years old or older.
- Working with children in the Day Care - 5 days a week from 9:30 to 1 pm. Must be 14 years old or older.
- Tutoring and/or mentoring in the children and youth programs. Must be 16 years old or older.
- Sorting clothes in Martha's Outfitters - Tuesday through Saturday from 9 to 3 pm. Must be 16 years old or older.
- Staffing McKenna's Wagon, mobile soup kitchen - 7 days a week from 4:45 to 6:45 pm. Must be 15 years old or older.
- Organize an event.
Contact their Volunteer Assistant at 202.328.6608 x 212 or email them at email@example.com to schedule a School Community Service appointment and Orientation.